Conal,

This is a good example of a simple aspect, thank you for sharing with
everyone. I wanted to address a few points in Dorothea's email

On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:53 AM, Dorothea Salo wrote:

>> I agree on the separation of concerns, adding content to the page
>> should be a different task than changing its "look and feel".
>
> I don't necessarily *disagree* with this, but let me ask: is it
> possible to shoot some communities/collections/items through a
> specific Aspect and others not?
>
> Because if not, there's an assumption hidden in the Manakin
> architecture that I don't think is going to hold water: that all parts
> of a DSpace repository are going to want the same behaviors over (or
> even information about) their contents.

Aspects are interactive components of the repository - they are code
that bridge the gap between a user interface and the dspace-api. So,
yes in the manakin architecture aspects apply to the whole repository
while theme apply to individual communities/collections/items. We made
this decision on purpose - where aspects are active in that they are
code which can processes values. Themes are passive they just happen
and typically do not make functional decisions.

If you have an aspect that you only want to 'turn on' for specific
communities or collections then that's fine, just have a configuration
parameter specifying what contains they aspect should effect. Then in
your aspect have it look at the parameter to decide how it should
modify the DRI document.

> I'm not a visual designer (I'm actually completely awful at it; I can
> implement other people's visual designs, but the ones I create myself
> are garbage). I'm more of an interaction designer, which tends to
> suspend me rather uncomfortably over the "adding content" versus "look
> and feel" divide. To me, "look and feel" is not a frill, and it's not
> intrinsically separable from the behavior of the application.

You're right it's not a clear line what is adding content vs look-and-
feel. In fact in Conal's example it could really go either way and
depends upon the context. He stated that they are really effecting the
underlying datamodel of the repository's bread crumb trail - i.e. it's
irrespective of the style in which the page is being viewed. In this
case an aspect makes the most sense. However a change to the bread
crumb trail in another context may make the most sense at the theme
layer. For example, if you were modifying the bread crumb trail to
adopt the style of an external website in such a manner to allow
seamless integration between they external website and the repository
then the appropriate place is within a theme. This is a stylistic
choice that is only applicable to one specific theme and not really
changing the repository, it's just transforming it to be in-style with
the pre-existing external website.

That's probably not the answer you wanted to hear :(