I use OpenLayers in the following way.

1) add collection item to DSpace with shape files (xx.shp, xx.shx, xx.dbf)
in the bundle.
2) create links in a directory to DSpace bitstreams of shape files.
3) create a layer file for GeoServer that references the shape files created
in step 2.
4) create a xml syntax map file (my invention) that containsreferences to
the GeoServer layers, and add to DSpace collection, labeling it as a map
file.

When I click on a map file in DSpace, it interprets the xml map file and
builds a html page that loads OpenLayers with the references to the
GeoServer layers, which in turn reference the shape files. Its a bit more
complecated than I had wanted, but all the programs that read shape files
are given the .shp file first, then look for the .shx and .dbf in the same
directory with the name of the .shp file. This means I have to reconstrct
the files on disk after they have been loaded into DSpace. I use links so
that I don't dupolicate disk storage space.

I haven't used the postgres link because I wanted to use the original DSpace
bitstreams.

Steps 2, 3, and 4 are done by hand now, but I am in the process of
developing scripts that would do 2 and 3 automagically, and 4 via web page
where you could select which layers comprised a map.

John