I ended up debugging this and found I was able to get it working by
prefixing "file:/" to the news.xml path string in Include.setup(). eg:

public void setup(SourceResolver resolver, Map objectModel, String src,
Parameters parameters) throws ProcessingException, SAXException,
IOException
{
this.src = src;
this.source = resolver.resolveURI("file:/" + src);
}

I don't know why this works for others and not me.

A org.apache.cocoon.ResourceNotFoundException was being thrown from this
class but I was not picking up the message from the call
getLogger().warn("blah blah"). Indeed, all the log files in
[dspace]/webapps/dspace-xmlui/WEB-INF/logs/ are empty. How do I switch
on cocoon(?!) logging?

Regards

George