Hi,
 just a quick tip, first of all when you have to deal with templates
defined in some
of the system xslt files like structural.xslt don't modify it but copy
it inside
of your theme xslt. This kind of override is a good practice because
it simplifies
platform upgrade procedures: just backup your custom themes folders and upgrade
from vanilla sources, avoiding the need to hunt/track down all changes
you have done.

About getting properties about your bistreams/items you could try
exporting an item with
org.dspace.app.mets.METSExport   and see which metadata it has.

i hope this could help.

Valerio Minetti