Running on:

> mark-diggorys-computer-2:~ mdiggory$ mvn --version
> Maven version: 2.0.8
> Java version: 1.5.0_13
> OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.4.11" arch: "i386" Family: "unix"

I removed my ~/.m2 directory to force all dependencies to be
downloaded again and successfully built DSpace 1.5.0 from scratch
against the dspace 1.5.0 tag that the releases were constructed from...

> svn co http://dspace.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dspace/tags/dspace-1_5
> cd dspace-1_5/dspace
> mvn package

I encountered no errors. I highly suspect that downloading and
placing jars on the classpath outside of maven is bound to break the
dependency chain and cause problems in your build.

The version of the site plugin that was downloaded by default in
Maven...

> mark-diggorys-computer-2:~ mdiggory$ ls -a -l ~/.m2/repository/org/
> apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/2.0-beta-6/
> total 280
> drwxr-xr-x   6 mdiggory  mdiggory     204 Apr 14 18:33 .
> drwxr-xr-x   5 mdiggory  mdiggory     170 Apr 14 18:33 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 mdiggory  mdiggory  120863 Apr 14 18:27 maven-site-
> plugin-2.0-beta-6.jar
> -rw-r--r--   1 mdiggory  mdiggory      40 Apr 14 18:27 maven-site-
> plugin-2.0-beta-6.jar.sha1
> -rw-r--r--   1 mdiggory  mdiggory   11205 Apr 14 18:27 maven-site-
> plugin-2.0-beta-6.pom
> -rw-r--r--   1 mdiggory  mdiggory      40 Apr 14 18:27 maven-site-
> plugin-2.0-beta-6.pom.sha1

Why the need for a proxy in your settings.xml?

Cheers,
Mark