Hi George and others,

I realise your question is from quite some time ago, but just in case someone
might run
into this problem in the future I figured it might save her or him some time to
post the
solution that I found.

I was upgrading from 1.2.1 to 1.5 and at 1.4 I noticed that I was having the
same
problem as you describe: "There are no files associated with this item." It may
very
well be that this already turned up at 1.3 - I did not really test the
intermediate
stages too well.

It turned out that for some reason, in the old installation there was only one
type of
data in the DSpace bitstream storage: the so-called "ORIGINAL" files, as
opposed to
"TEXT" or "THUMBNAIL"

I have not been able to find a reason, but a quick survey of the data in the
dump file
confirmed that. It may have been that because of that there was no need to
distinguish
between the three types mentioned above in the table column BUNDLE.NAME
Anyway, after setting the NULL values on BUNDLE.NAME to "ORIGINAL" (in the
database) it
worked fine.

UPDATE bundle SET name = 'ORIGINAL' where name is null;

But mind you - don't follow this blindly. The fact that this was not filled in,
or
migrated, properly may entirely be a hack of the (extremely brittle)
installation of
that 1.2.1 version. There were more strange issues with it, in any case.
But it might provide a clue.

cheers
~maike