Mark Diggory wrote:

> I feel a little confused, I though that the only thing implemented in
> the dspace-sword implementation was an integration with the Packager
> framework, and specifically, just METS SIP packages.  While I'll buy
> in that SWORD itself has that granularity... What is implemented for
> dspace is currently somewhat minimal.

Mark,

(This is a little more of a developer's discussion, but...)

'dspace-sword' module implements a SWORD Server for DSpace.  This SWORD
Server *does* use the DSpace Packager framework.   But, by default it
expects you to send a METS file (actually a zipped up METS file) with
EPrints DC XML metadata in it.  There are some basic configs in
dspace.cfg to allow you to specify a different "crosswalk", but it uses
EPrints DC XML by default (as that is the "recommended" supported
metadata format by SWORD).   Technically a SWORD Server can support
*multiple* metadata formats (or METS profiles), but it looks like
'dspace-sword' only supports one at a time right now.

But, this is all based on my digging in code...there's no docs on our
'dspace-sword' implementation that I can see.  So, it's possible I'm
mistaken here :)

I also wasn't saying that DSpace has a complex SWORD implementation..it
is very minimal.  I was just trying to explain what the SWORD protocol
provides, and how it is meant to be more generic (but it would be
possible to extend it to look for DSpace-specific info, if we really
wanted to).

- Tim

--
Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, Illinois Digital Environment for