From: Stuart Lewis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 11:21 PM
To: DSpace Tech; Jayan Chirayath Kurian
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] virus scan for online submission of items in
DSpace

Hi Jayan,

> We have started with our online theses submission system using DSpace.
We have
> on -access virus scanner software installed in our submission server.
Since
> students use LDAP to authenticate and submit online, I was just
curious to
> know while saving items into DSpace Assetstore, the online virus
scanner would
> perform a check since it would be enabled on item access. Whether
there is a
> possibility that the server would be already infected at the time of
> submission. Please suggest if other alternative exists or the best
possible
> suggestion since the servers started accepting online submissions. The
good
> news is that it has already surpassed 500 online submissions and
waiting for
> approval in the workflow. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I suspect you are OK with the way you are doing it. The file first gets
uploaded to [dspace]/uploads/ temporarily until it is finally ingested
into
the assetstore. You might find enabling 'on write scanning' helps.

If it doesn't get written there because your AV software catches it,
you'll
probably get a DSpace warning saying something along the lines of
"Upload
failed" as you would if for example your tomcat user couldn't write to
that
directory.

Try using the EICAR test virus file (
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm ) to see how it performs.
I'd
be interested to hear your results.

Thanks,

Stuart

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth                      Aberystwyth University

            E-bost / E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860