From: Michael White [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 11:28 AM
To: Nigel Pegus
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: Unplanned user access

Hi Nigel,

> my concern is that unprivileged users accessing the item
> form the outside will in certain cases get access to restricted
> content

In my experience I don't think this can happen - even if I'm looking at
a cached version of a page that seems to suggest I'm logged on when I'm
not, as soon as I click to try and access protected content, the
authentication/authorisation bits of DSpace kick in and start looking
for a valid authentication context - as this context isn't actually
there (despite what the cached version of the page is telling me), I
can't get access to the protected content . . .

> and see themselves logged in as a privileged user...

Again, I don't *think* this can happen - as Christophe pointed out, it's
not DSpace that is serving a cached version of the page, but the browser
"reusing" a locally cached version - so a user will only see themselves
logged on if they (or someone else) has previously logged on to the
system, and then logged off again, in the same browser session . . .

I've certainly not heard of anything like the scenarios you describe
actually happening - the problems I hear about are usually the "other
way around" - I've had numerous enquiries from our workflow staff
relating to things like the "Edit" button not being visible on an item
view page - these are always problems relating to a cached version of
the item view page - they access an item page, then subsequently log on
and go back to that page, but don't get access to the admin features
(the give away is always the absence of the "Logged in as" message).

Hope that helps.

Mike

Michael White
eLearning Developer
Centre for eLearning Development (CeLD)
S7, The Library
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880

http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/celd/

--
The University of Stirling (a charity registered in Scotland, number
SC 011159) is a university established in Scotland by charter at