I cannot access the items file at all from the item display page either
being logged in or not.
I can see the metadata, however.

With default_bitstream_read VCU users, default_item_read      VCU users
set I would assume the same thing :)
With both set (and nothing set for anonymous), you would be able to see
my collections page, but when you clicked on an item, you would get
prompted to login. That works great. What doesn't work in this scenario
is the ability to actually access the file (pdf, txt, etc.) for the item.

Does this make sense?

Susan Teague Rector
Web Applications Manager
VCU Libraries