Hello all,

One obstacle that I see in 1.5 is that terms containing diacritics are
sorted by base character in the browse indexes - i.e. the letter "Ö"
(oumlaut) is treated like "O" etc., which result in records not being
sorted according to (national) standards (or the postgres locale).

I notice that these characters are decomposed (diacritic stored after
the base character) before writing the sorting terms to the database,
and this result in the above.
I know that this has been discussed  in the past, at the DSUG meeting in
Rome for instance, but I cannot remember the exact reason why it was
done this way (but I remember that there was an explanation and I would
be happy if someone could please repeat it).

Modifying the utf-8 characters manually in bi_2_dis.sort_value et al
will result in records being sorted correctly, but then the links from
the indexes don't seem to work.

Has anyone else looked into this and is there perhaps a known, quick
(and possibly dirty) solution to get the most rudimentary sorting to
work properly?
Our 1.5 runs on Debian linux, Postgres and Tomcat 6.

/ Urban Andersson

--
Urban Andersson
Digitala biblioteket / Digital library