We wanted to expose dspace's metadata in a way that can be used by
other applications. They are nice restfull urls that are actionable
and easily predictable. There are a few themes that will do client
side parsing of those urls in javascript, it opens the possibility for
other things to be created. That's not a big argument for handles over
internal identifiers, remember manakin is several years in the making
and during the most of the design cycle dspace's independence from
handles was nothing but a pipedream with no one really working on it.

As a side note about the protection of Metadata. The DSpace API's data
model says that all metadata for any item (withdrawn or in progress)
is visible to any anonymous user. In general the dspace model is all
objects are visible, but may not be actionable or some parts may be
restricted. In my opinion the API should return an authorization
errors for attempting to access metadata on restricted items, and then
perhaps we could set some kid of security permissions on metadata
fields either in the registry or through some dspace.cfg parameter.
Although the xslt on the pipelie is a pretty easy hack that solves
your problem and is way easier to implement....

Scott--
config