Clive Gould wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Thanks for the help so far :)
>
> I include the Tomcat and Java version numbers as requested.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Clive
>

> DSpace 1.4.2 works fine but DSpace 1.5 on the same platform gives internal
> server errors when I try to do a search.
>
> When I try to do a search I get an internal error message generated and
> the dspace.log file contains:
>
> 2008-08-11 09:45:08,472 WARN
> org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet @
> :session_id=7F6C14A4FE8574EE60C1EC7765568F26:internal_error:-- URL Was:
> http://testvle.bromley.a
> c.uk/dspace/simple-search?query=photo&submit=Go
> -- Method: GET
> -- Parameters were:
> -- submit: "Go"
> -- query: "photo"

> An error occurred at line: 234 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
> Generated servlet error:
> Syntax error on token "<", invalid AssignmentOperator
>
> An error occurred at line: 234 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
> Generated servlet error:
> Syntax error on token "=", != expected
>
> An error occurred at line: 242 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
> Generated servlet error:
> Syntax error on token(s), misplaced construct(s)
>
> An error occurred at line: 242 in the jsp file: /search/results.jsp
> Generated servlet error:
> Syntax error on token ")", : expected
>

>       at
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:84)
>       at
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:328)
>       at
> org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler.generateClass(JDTCompiler.java:397)
>       at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:288)
>       at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:267)
>       at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:255)
>       at
> org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:556)
>       at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:293)
>       at
> org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
>       at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
>       at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
>       at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java
>
> Versions are as follows:
>
> JAVA:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# /usr/java/jdk/bin/java -version
> java version "1.5.0_04"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode)
>
> TOMCAT:

> [...]
Is it possible tomcat is running the gcj instead of sun's java?

Just wondering as java -version appears to use the gcj so it's possible
you've got two java distributions running. The fact that it is running
gcj would be consistent with the problems you are experiencing.

If I remember correctly you can change the default java by editing
/etc/jvm and moving the sun java to the top of the list (I'm pretty sure
this is how it is achieved in CentOS so Redhat should be the same).

Hope this helps.