Hi Durga,

could you give some more details (stack trace).

Most probably you did not set up your smtp server correctly. Thus on
trying to send the registration email the register process fails.

Check the section "Email Setting" in your dspace.cfg, especiially:
##### Email settings ######

# SMTP mail server
mail.server=smtp.myu.edu

# SMTP mail server authentication username and password (if required)
# mail.server.username = myusername
# mail.server.password = mypassword

# SMTP mail server alternate port (defaults to 25)
# mail.server.port = 25

hope that helps

Claudia