We've been experiencing JavaScript WYSIWYG HTML editor in DSpace, and it
seems to work quite nice.The need rose from the lack of will and time
for collection admins to learn HTML when editing collection/community
descriptions and news. Maybe an open source JavaScript editor like
TinyMCE could be integrated in the future releases as a default?

See screenshot at:
http://otto.terkko.helsinki.fi/utils/html-editor-in-dspace.JPG

The integration is very simple, basicly just importing a script-file in
page headers and defining the textareas in which the editor will be used.
Other techinal details can be obtained from me.

The homepage of TinyMCE is:  http://tinymce.moxiecode.com

Cheers,
Mika