My imediate problem has been resolved, but let me give a few details inc ase
this indicates a larger problem, or helps someone else.

After trying java versions 1.5.0-sun and 1.6.0-ibm and getting the same
error from make-handle-config, I ended up creating the handle-server config
files using dsrun:

bin/dsrun net.handle.server.SimpleSetup /path/to/handle-server

This worked (with both java versions) until I got to the part where the
certs get encrypted, and then failed with a complaint about
com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE.  I then installed java 1.6.0-sun which
allowed me to get though the dsrun method, though make-handle-config
continues to fail with the same error.

Eric Luhrs
Lafayette College