I've been trying to incorporate jhove into my dspace instance.
Specifically, I was trying to add jhove validation into the guessFormat
method of FormatIdentifier.java. Unfortunately, I was not successful.
For my 1st attempt at this I focused on validating pdf files, so I
configured jhove to just use the pdf validation module.  What I found
was that when I submitted a pdf file, the validator recognized the file
as a valid pdf ( that was good news ), but then I tried an xml file, and
the validator also recognized it as a valid pdf file ( not what I was
expecting).  I worked with some one in the jhove mailing list on this,
and I am fairly confident that the code I have in place is suppose to do
what I expect it to do.  So I'm writing to ask if any one has been able
to get this to work.  For the time being I'm trying change my code to do
a very simple validation on the submitted items.

I was also hoping to be able to do virus checking on the submittal
items.  I have not checked on this, but I assume that the jhove
validator should be doing this along with the validation of the format.
Does any one know for sure?  Also, is there another tool ( other than
jhove ) that I could use to validate format and check for virus?

Many thanks!
-Jose