Wow, now thats a "Hack" ;-)

This is why putting a url in a Bitstream is a bit "weak". The url
should have always just been metadata attached to the Item (i.e.
dc:rights).

I also see now why the XMLUI used the html file as the link... it was
less work to implement the behavior.

Heres another trick that I think will work...

Change the mime-type/ext on your "license" BitstreamFormat to be text/
html and "htm" rather than text/plain. Because your only exposing the
html version in XMLUI, this will allow it to render in the browser...
I tested this locally and it works without changing the xlink target.
All that would be left is to add in the the CC logo.

I'll get to work on a better solution under the hood in XMLUI METS
java classes and see if we can get those url based license fields to
express as dim fields in the generated mets.xml for the Item, then
they will be readily available in the XSLT transform.

-Mark

Mark R. Diggory
Home Page: http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/homepage
Blog: http://purl.org/net/mdiggory/blog