Hi...

In October I moved my DSpace 1.4.2 instance to a new server which is
faster and has more memory.  I upgraded my Apache to 2.2.4, added
mod_jk and Tomcat 5.5.26.

My old instance worked fine with Apache 1.3.26, mod_webapp and tomcat
4.0.6.  In both cases I was and am using PostGreSQL 8.3.

However, ever since moving to the new server, I have had tomcat crashes with

This seems to happen when we are hit by harvesters.  I have tried a
number of things, but all that I have done is delay the
crashes.  They happen...just less frequently.  I am at my wits
end!  Does anyone have any suggestions?

In PostGreSQL, I have max_connections = 100 and shared_buffers = 32MB
and max_fsm_pages = 204800

Here is my Tomcat configuration:
JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -Xmn64m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-XX:+UseParallelGC -verbose:gc
-Xloggc:/dspace/dspace/log/gc.log -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-XX:PermSize=1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit"

Here is robots.txt:
Crawl-delay: 10

Disallow: /browse-author
Disallow: /items-by-author