Hi Andrew,

> <claudia.juer...@ub.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
>> Hi Andrew,
>>> controlled vocabulary. Can someone explain what this is about please?
>> http://www.w3.org/WAI). I cannot see anything in WAI that has any bearing on
>> The UI with controlled vocabulary is not level AA compliant.
>
> To me, the AA means either the Automobile Association or Alcoholics Anonymous.
> So I am not sure what you mean.

A simple Google search should bring enlightenment:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wai+aa

(But basically there are three levels of compliance with the WAI
recommendations. A means you have met all priority 1 checkpoints (the basic
points), AA means you have met priority 1 and 2 checkpoints, and AAA means
you have met priority 1, 2 and 3 checkpoints. DSpace aims to meet AA
compliance.

> I see in the DSpace manual (section 5.6.2)
> that the controlloed vocab feature requires javascript. This does put me off.
> IMHO javascript is great for enhancing the user experience but not defining
> it.  I hope there is some plan to change that. Should I put it in as a feature
> request?

If you feel it would be useful, that would be good. Even better, if you have
the time and skills to tackle this development, DSpace is an open community
with the software being collaboratively built by many of the members.

> I have only seen a license for when one uses software that the OCLC has
> written. I do not intend to ever use any of their software, but I would like
> to classify articles and books using DDC. Do I still need a license for that?
> I would, of course, mention in the documentation of my DSpace system that the
> classification I use is the DDC and that the DDC is copyright by the OCLC.

You'd be best of asking the OCLC about that.

Thanks,

Stuart

Gwasanaethau Gwybodaeth                      Information Services
Prifysgol Aberystwyth                      Aberystwyth University

            E-bost / E-mail: stuart.le...@aber.ac.uk
                 Ffon / Tel: (01970) 622860