John,

Down here in Texas we also face this challenge to create a federated
repository among all institutional repositories across the state. Up
until now we've been doing a manual federation process which includes
dspace imports and exports plus some scripts that work on those
exports. This has been a huge pain to work with, but it's bought us
time to develop something better. We have been working on a patch
which we expect to make public sometime next week. Right now we're
working out a few library dependency issues with maven. The patch
requires database changes so I don't expect it for 1.5.2, but
hopefully soon their after.

This patch will add:

Part A: The ability for a DSpace collection to be harvested from
another repository via OAI-PMH. When you look at the collection
editing screen in either Manakin or the JSPUI there will be another
tab for collection source that allows a curator to set up harvesting
for a collection. It can be done either as a one-time thing just to
move a collection or you can have it periodically harvest the
collection. Further more you'll be able to select from three types of
harvests 1) just metadata (plain old OAI-PMH), 2) metadata +
bitstreams (via ORE), 3) metadata + links to bitstreams in their
source repository (i.e. we get the ORE document and store that in
DSpace but don't grab the bitstreams individualy).

Part B: The ability for DSpace to serve up ORE documents via OAI-PHM.

Scott--