On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 01:24:16PM -0400, Jeffrey Trimble wrote:
> So, how does one customize the brief item display of fields?  I am
> not able to find a reference to this in the documentation.  Any
> assistance is appreciated.

Good question!  Unless something has changed recently, you didn't miss
it in the documentation (and we need to fix that).

The various pages are laid out by the Theme which is active for a
given URL.  (This is determined in config/xmlui.xconf, near the
bottom.)  So you first need to figure out which Theme you're going to
customize.

All the Themes I'm aware of inherit a lot of code from what I like to
call the "Theme library":  'themes/dri2xhtml.xsl' and the components it
'xsl:import's from 'themes/dri2xhtml/*'.  In the source kit these are
found under 'dspace-xmlui/dspace-xmlui-webapp/src/main/webapp'.
There's some discussion on the wiki of copying a Theme to make a new
one, if you need to do that.  (It's probably a good idea to do so
whenever you customize.)

You need to fish around in the Theme library to find the bit of XSL
that transforms DRI elements into the kind of page you want to alter.
The stuff I want to change tends to be in 'dri2xhtml/DIM-Handler.xsl'.
Typically you make a copy of that code and place it in your Theme's
own something.xsl, making the necessary alterations.  That causes your
altered version of the template(s) to override the 'import'ed code
from the "library".

I think the area you want is the "itemSummaryView-DIM" template.

I think there's some material on the wiki about getting the raw DRI
for an interesting page, which may help to track down the particular
transform code for the portion you're interested in.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.