2009/5/6 Serbe Leon Rojas <serbe.ro...@biblioteca.udea.edu.co>:
> What is the advantage of acquiring the unique identficador handle?
>
> Is it really necessary for the project?

Have a look at the documentation, particularly:
dspace-1.5.2/dspace/docs/html/ch03.html#N10AA6

'    *      You don't have to use CNRI's Handle system. At the moment,
you need to change the code a little to use something else (e.g PURLs)
but that should change soon.
'    *      You'll notice that while you've been playing around with a
test server, DSpace has apparently been creating handles for you
looking like hdl:123456789/24 and so forth. These aren't really
Handles, since the global Handle system doesn't actually know about
them, and lots of other DSpace test installs will have created the
same IDs.
'      They're only really Handles once you've registered a prefix
with CNRI (see below) and have correctly set up the Handle server
included in the DSpace distribution. This Handle server communicates
with the rest of the global Handle infrastructure so that anyone that
understands Handles can find the Handles your DSpace has created.'

Also: dspace-1.5.2/dspace/docs/html/ch02.html#N1041B
'Researchers require a stable point of reference for their works. The
simple evolution from sharing of citations to emailing of URLs broke
when Web users learned that sites can disappear or be reconfigured
without notice, and that their bookmark files containing critical
links to research results couldn't be trusted long term. To help solve
this problem, a core DSpace feature is the creation of persistent
identifier for every item, collection and community stored in DSpace.
To persist identifier, DSpace requires a storage- and location-
independent mechanism for creating and maintaining identifiers. DSpace
uses the CNRI Handle System for creating these identifiers. The rest
of this section assumes a basic familiarity with the Handle system.

'DSpace uses Handles primarily as a means of assigning globally unique
identifiers to objects. Each site running DSpace needs to obtain a
Handle 'prefix' from CNRI, so we know that if we create identifiers
with that prefix, they won't clash with identifiers created
elsewhere.'

Sean
--
Sean Carte