Hi Clive,

the export directory settings in dspace.cfg are irrelevant for the
retrieval URL. There is no direct access via URL to the directories
mentioned in the dspace.cfg.

The retrieval URL is build in org.dspace.app.itemexport emailSuccessMessage
see:
email.addArgument(ConfigurationManager.getProperty("dspace.url") +
"/exportdownload/" + fileName);

The parts in your example are:
dspace.url in dspace.cfg = http://vleinternal.bromley.ac.uk/dspace
/exportdownload/
fileName = item_export_2009_May_07_2_4.zip

Now for example in jspui the web.xml determines what is done with the
URL http://vleinternal.bromley.ac.uk/dspace/exportdownload/*
see web.xml:
<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>exportdownload</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/exportdownload/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

<servlet>
<servlet-name>exportdownload</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.ItemExportArchiveServlet</servlet-class>
</servlet>

In the end the ItemExportArchiveServlet handles the Export.

Why do you want to change the URL created, does yours not work?

Hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen