I'd hazard a guess that the cause of your error is related to SRW not
being able to a) find a particular DSpace method, or b) call the
particular DSpace method with the correct parameters.

If I remember correctly, I had to copy a number of jars from DSpace and
the Java lib dir to the SRW directory in order to get everything to work
correctly. Therefore, if the documentation for SRW is incomplete, I
would recommend contacting the developer; he is very helpful and
responds to issues in a timely manner.

If I can get my demo server running, I will try and document the steps I
took to build it and post it over to you (it took me about 8 hours
straight to get the thing to work so hopefully it will save you a bit of
time!).

Cheers

Hayden