The way Kim pointed out is a good solution.  But, I did want to point
out another option.  Another way you could remove the Community-List by
creating your own XSLT-based aspect similar to the following:

dspace/modules/xmlui/src/main/resources/aspects/MyXSLTAspect/

You'd want to create an XSLT that converts DRI->DRI (rather than the
normal DRI->XHTML).  In this XSLT, you'd simply copy *every* DRI node to
the output with the *exception* of the single <dri:div> node which
contains that community list:

<!-- By default copy everything to output -->
<xsl:template match="*">
         <xsl:copy>
             <xsl:copy-of select="@*"/>
             <xsl:apply-templates/>
         </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<!-- Suppress the 'div' containing the Community list on the homepage-->
<xsl:template
match="dri:d...@id='aspect.artifactbrowser.CommunityBrowser.div.comunity-browser']"/>

That's it for the XSLT...after that, you'd just enable it in a custom
sitemap.xmap (under your "MyXSLTAspect" folder) like so:

<map:sitemap>

  <map:pipelines>
    <map:pipeline>

      <!--Only enable this XSLT for the homepage-->
      <map:match pattern="">
         <map:transform src="suppress-communitylist.xsl"/>
      </map:match>

      <!-- We are generating XML as the output-->
      <map:serialize type="xml"/>
    </map:pipeline>
  </map:pipelines>
</map:sitemap>

Finally, you'd enable your custom Aspect (using its path) in your
xmlui.xconf:

<aspect name="My XSLT Aspect" path="resource://aspects/MyXSLTAspect/" />

I just wanted to point out that another way of disabling something from
appearing in the XMLUI, is to create a simple XSLT-aspect which simply
hides the DRI XML content you don't want appear.

- Tim

--
Tim Donohue
Research Programmer, IDEALS