My gut says, "find out how hard the DBMS is working to add one item".
I think that would be consistent with the increasing time spent in
Context.commit().  I suspect (but can't yet prove or disprove) that
there are some places where the choice of columns to index should be
reviewed w.r.t. large repositories.  I don't even slightly resemble a
DBMS performance expert, but I've been looking at performance issues
with a much smaller repo -- around 22,000 items*.  It looks to me at
the moment as though Pg is doing quite a lot more I/O than I would
have expected.

I've been collecting detailed logs of SQL statement execution times
from Pg, but 8.0 apparently didn't log what was needed while 8.2 is
logging so much every day that the analysis tool I'm using runs out of
memory no matter how high I set the limit.  I'm going to try carving
the logs into smaller pieces....

If you can identify some statements that are exercised by batch
submission, opening up the database with 'psql' and entering 'EXPLAIN
some statement' should show where the time is going and why.  Then you
get to stare at it and ask yourself, "why did the query planner do it
*that* way?"

That submission runs sometimes work at both memory limits but more
often at the higher limit suggests that we are leaking objects
somewhere in the batch submission path.  That would be a separate
issue.

*  One thing that is helping is that I'd followed a rule of thumb and
   given Tomcat far too *much* memory, so Tomcat and Postgres were
   paging each other out.  I reduced Tomcat's heap maximum and
   I think performance has smoothed out quite a bit.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.