We have removed the automatical Community / Collection listing from
the front page and replaced it with static (HTML) list with headings
and separators for clarity. This is all hard-coded in structural.xsl.
Since community structure seldom changes, this has been a perfect
solution for us. You can see it in action at:
tds.terkko.helsinki.fi/dspace.

-Mika