Susan,

I'm curious about this.  What is the difference between DSpace versions,
> Vika?

Don't actually know.  I came into the project at 1.5.2.  There's a bunch of
information here, though:

http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/DSpace_Release_1.5.2_Notes

> Today I'm wondering how the Manakin message[s.xml] is generated.

It's actually not generated but comes with Manakin.  It's in the xmlui
directory, in the i18n folder.  There's a default set of what the messages
say, and you can change them at will.  Or am I misunderstanding the
question?

In other news, still struggling with the search and hoping for help.
*hopeful*

-Vika

--
Vika Zafrin
Digital Collections and Computing Support Librarian