Hi Claudia,
Thanks for your response but I haven't been able to correctly set up the
labels I have
Messages_es.properties and Messages.properties at the
[dspace-source]/dspace/modules/jspui/src/main/resources directory
after redeploy I've just double checked and both files are present at the
/dspace/webapps/jspui/WEB-INF/classes directory.
In the Messages_es.properties file the labels appear as you said at the end
of the file:

#BIIACS  translations

metadata.dc.title = T\u00EDtulo
#metadata.dc.contributor.* = Autor
metadata.dc.contributor.author = Autor
metadata.dc.coverage.* = Alcance
metadata.dc.identifier = Identificador
metadata.dc.identifier.govdoc = Identificador
metadata.dc.subject.* = Tema
metadata.dc.date.issued = Fecha
metadata.dc.date.completion = Fecha
metadata.dc.rights.* = Licencia de uso
metadata.dc.type.* = Tipos de archivos
metadata.dc.identifier.citation = Cita
metadata.dc.description.abstract = Resumen
metadata.dc.relation = Relaci\u00F3n

The weird stuff is that everything is being translated correct with the
exception of the item labels. Another two things
that I just can't understand is first why just  the Date/Fecha labels which
correspond to the dc.date.issued dublincore field
was translated. The second is why the site was translated to French  if I
didn't provided any translation
and I didn't find any file with French words on it at my system. Where are
those language packs located?

If I just change the name of the files like this
mv Messages.properties Messages_es.properties
mv Messages_es.properties Messages.properties

The problem is inverted and and the Spanish translation work as expected
while the English version does not.
I'm pretty sure this should be a silly error but I just can't discover
what's happening.