Hi Mark,

Did you happen to come up with a solution for this problem? I've been
encountering a similar problem with the university's Google search appliance
crawler bombarding DSpace with nonsensical URL queries like these:
[http://helda.helsinki.fi]/D/data/Eduskunnan
[http://helda.helsinki.fi]/dstudhope/My%20Documents/Research/Presentations/2004-2006/CRM%20SIG%2006/EAT-Draft%20scope%20notesv6.doc

[http://helda.helsinki.fi]/y/kon/He/LVK
[http://helda.helsinki.fi]/T/UlXAoitari/PERIMlSTOJM

The apache logs show the response codes for these queries to be 200 OK,
while the Jetty app server (connected via mod_proxy) throws a 500 server
error (I'll paste an example to the end of the message).

2009/7/3, Mark H. Wood <mw...@iupui.edu>:

> I'm still trying to get one of my sites validated with Google
> Webmaster Tools.  Google wants to probe for a nonexistent file to
> ensure that we give a proper 404, but is getting back 500 instead when
> asking for /noexist_HEXGOBBLEDYGOOK.html.  HEXGOBBLEDYGOOK has no
> connection (that I know of) with 'xmlui.google.analytics.key'.
>
> It looks to me like the problem is this:  the master sitemap has a
> match rule for "*.html" to enable serving static HTML files from
> config/static.  This matches the request, but the ResourceReader will
> fail to find it and return either IOException or ProcessingException.
> The "exception" matcher is not set up to recognize either of these, so
> the 'otherwise' branch is taken a little further down in the
> 'handle-errors' block, which returns 500.
>
> I think that the exception matcher needs to name another exception,
> probably IOError, which can be provided for in the 'handle-errors'
> block.  I guess my question is: is this the right approach, or will
> that catch other exceptions that shouldn't be 404s?  I'm still
> learning Cocoon's ropes (and now in 2.2 they replaced some of the
> ropes!).
>

> --
> Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
> Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.

> 2009-07-09 09:24:29.961::WARN: /y/mrl/perinta/pm
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
org.apache.cocoon.servletservice.HttpServletResponseBufferingWrapper.flushBufferedResponse(HttpServletResponseBufferingWrapper.java:245)
at
org.apache.cocoon.servletservice.ServletServiceContext$PathDispatcher.forward(ServletServiceContext.java:481)
at
org.apache.cocoon.servletservice.ServletServiceContext$PathDispatcher.forward(ServletServiceContext.java:443)
at
org.apache.cocoon.servletservice.spring.ServletFactoryBean$ServiceInterceptor.invoke(ServletFactoryBean.java:264)
at
org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:171)
at
org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:204)
at $Proxy5.service(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.cocoon.servletservice.DispatcherServlet.service(DispatcherServlet.java:106)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:502)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1157)
at
org.dspace.app.xmlui.cocoon.SetCharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(SetCharacterEncodingFilter.java:142)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1148)
at
org.dspace.app.xmlui.cocoon.DSpaceCocoonServletFilter.doFilter(DSpaceCocoonServletFilter.java:244)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1148)
at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.multipart.MultipartFilter.doFilter(MultipartFilter.java:131)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1148)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(ServletHandler.java:387)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:216)
at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(SessionHandler.java:181)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(ContextHandler.java:765)
at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebAppContext.java:417)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection.handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:230)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle(HandlerCollection.java:114)
at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:152)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnection.java:534)
at
org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.headerComplete(HttpConnection.java:864)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser.java:539)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpParser.java:212)
at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnection.java:404)
at
org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:409)
at
org.mortbay.thread.QueuedThreadPool$PoolThread.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:520)

Timo Aalto
Planning Officer
University of Helsinki Library Coordination Unit
timo dot j dot aalto at helsinki dot fi