As someone who has spent a lot of time talking with folks about
'shareable' metadata, I just want to second Mark's comment that we
really should not be putting html content into metadata fields. If you
want a feel for what this looks like downstream, do a search on <p> (or
other html tags of your choice) in something like OAIster
(http://www.oaister.org/). Downstream applications that reuse your
metadata generally ignore the markup but still keep it in the metadata.
We've also seen example like:

<dc:title>&lt;i&gt;GOPHERUS POLYPHEMUS&lt;/i&gt; (Gopher Tortoise)
COYOTE PREDATION</dc:title>

where creators have tried to not include actual html markup, but in the
end cause even more confusion for applications using the metadata (not
to mention users who are accessing these).

Sarah Shreeves

--
Sarah L. Shreeves
Coordinator, IDEALS