Hi Ron,

this is configurable via the dspace.cfg, see section

###### Browse Configuration ######
webui.browse.index.2 = author:metadata:dc.contributor.*:text

change this to
webui.browse.index.2 = author:metadata:dc.contributor.author:text
Having changed the browse configuration you got to run
[dspace]/bin/index-init.

Hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen