Like a lot of things, the answer is "that depends."  The SMTP server
is usually an MTA (Mail Transfer Agent), or post-office server, that
is expected to be able to receive mail as well as send it.  However,
when you're part of a big site like "my.edu", you can often get away
with setting up an MTA on your local machine that sends out mail with
a return address of u...@my.edu, so it does _not_ have to be open to
listening to the world at large.  It sends the mail out, and if it
bounces, those bounce messages go to the MTA for my.edu.

I like to set up a local service on the same machine hosting DSpace
just so that outgoing mail never gets lost because the other machine
or the network is down.  It can be a simple outgoing-only Sendmail (or
equivalent Postfix, exim, etc) that stores and forwards outbound
messages.  It fixes up headers so the mail appears to come from
my.edu, bounces go back to my.edu, and thus it wouldn't need to have
port 25 open because nobody should ever be talking to it. In fact,
that's probably a good idea, since if you did have it open you'd have
to know how to configure it so as not to relay SPAM.

   -- Larry