I've configured & tested openldap on my ubuntu system & ldapsearch all
works as expected.

The problem is that our Active Directory has a rather unusual setup.
Basically the person "object" has a CN of

CN=David Wynne xxxxxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxxxx is the number on my id card. I've seen a couple of
posts about DSpace & AD where:

ldap.id_field = sAMAccountName
ldap.id_field = CN

But using JExplorer if I do a search on:

sAMAccountName=username,.ou=People, dc=jmu. dc=ac. dc=uk
or
CN=username,.ou=People, dc=jmu. dc=ac. dc=uk

I dont get any results, but if I do a search on:

ou=People, dc=jmu. dc=ac. dc=uk

with a filter of :

sAMAccountName=username

I get the right person object.

In terms of the dspace.cfg file can this be done ? Or do I need to patch
the DSpace java files ?

At the moment in ther dspace.log file:

2009-10-15 13:27:53,489 INFO
org.dspace.authenticate.LDAPHierarchicalAuthentica
tion @
anonymous:session_id=116B1778D9539B1DDC5B49BF0820463B:ip_addr=150.204.48
.
5:auth:attempting trivial auth of user=cmsdwynn
2009-10-15 13:27:53,493 WARN
org.dspace.app.webui.servlet.InternalErrorServlet
@ :session_id=116B1778D9539B1DDC5B49BF0820463B:internal_error:-- URL
Was: http:/
/dspace.cms.livjm.ac.uk:8080/jspui/password-login
-- Method: POST
-- Parameters were:
-- login_email: "cmsdwynn"
-- login_password: *not logged*
-- login_submit: "Log In"

java.lang.NullPointerException

I'm guessing that the NullPointer is because the person "object" is
NULL.

Many Thanks

Dave Wynne
Senior Technical Officer