Hi Claudia,

Thanks for your reply.

What I'm looking for specifically is a method of determining the version from
the install directory, not from the source code directories.

The CHANGES and README files do contain version information, but it's a bit
daggy. For example, the README file for 1.5.2 says "1.5-SNAPSHOT". The CHANGES
file for 1.5.2 contains lots of version information scattered through it so I
guess one can search for different version strings and assume the highest one
found is the correct version. Having said all that, most people probably know
what the source code version is if they untar it with the default name which
contains the version number.

I look forward to any developments on this issue.

Kind regards
Gary

Gary Browne
Development Programmer
Library IT Services
University of Sydney
ph: 9351-5946
Sent from my plain old desktop computer.