Hello Stacy,

this is not directly configurable, but you can achieve it by a combination
of IP-based authentication and the standard DSpace resource policies.

Create an IP based group for the members of your university and a resource
policy that restricts the bitstream access to members of that group.

During ingest the item and its bitstream(s) derive their resource policies
from the DEFAULT_ITEM_READ and DEFAULT_BITSTREAM_READ. So setting
DEFAULT_BITSTREAM_READ to the group which includes your university members
will restrict the access of the newly ingested  bitstreams  to this group.
For bitstreams in already ingested items you got to use the advanced
policy tool to change the resource policies.

Hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen

> I can't find anything on this in the DSpace site or wiki, and I think this
> may not be possible, but is anyone aware of a way, without using a proxy
> server, to block access to the bitstream of an object based on an IP
> range, rather than group membership?
>
> We have some objects that we want to make accessible to anyone on-campus,
> using our campus IP scheme, but not off-campus. I'm aware that this is not
> an air-tight way of preventing the public from accessing the bitstream,
> and we're OK with that. It is fine with us if the object's metadata is
> available from any IP address; the only thing we would like to prevent is
> off-campus access to the bitstream.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help on this one...
>
> --
> Stacy Pennington
> Rhodes College
> penning...@rhodes.edu
> (901) 843-3968

> world's best and brightest in the field, creating opportunities for
> Conference
> attendees to learn about information security's most important issues
> through
> interactions with peers, luminaries and emerging and established
> companies.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/rsaconf-dev2dev

Claudia Jürgen
Eldorado - Repositorium der TU Dortmund