Sorry to stick my oar in here, but...

On 12 Feb 2010, at 22:18, Graham Triggs wrote:

> It's a bit of an exaggeration to say that this is a regularly used
> query. It will only be used when:
>
> a) Installing a new item
> b) Withdrawing an item
> c) Reinstating an item
> d) Updating the metadata of an item that has at some point been
> installed
>
> It's not called during the submission / workflow process.

I don't think this is the case. I'm sure it was the intention, but
from what we've been able to determine, each DescribeStep for in-
progress items calls InProgressSubmission.update() which for both
workflow and non-workflow items calls Item.update(), which will fire a
MODIFY_METADATA event for that item. The BrowseConsumer will process
that event whether the item is installed or not. We determined this
after an increasing number of user complaints about the submission
process "slowing down" and added an isArchived() check to our
BrowseConsumer, which made the submissions process noticeably snappier.

Cheers,
--
Simon Brown <st...@cam.ac.uk> - Cambridge University Computing Service
+44 1223 3 34714 - New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge CB2 3QH