Vinsenso,

You don't have to give the bitstream (PDF) to the user.

You can render the PDF on your page through a web service, so the user can
see the contents, still retaining the formating of the PDF, without giving
the user the bitstream.

Using Google Docs Viewer
http://wiki.dspace.org/index.php/Document_Preview_with_Google_Docs_viewer

or

@mire Document Streaming
https://atmire.com/labs/#docstreaming

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Mark H. Wood <mw...@iupui.edu> wrote:

> No.  The server has no way of knowing what the client will do with the
> bits once it has received them.
>
> In the case of PDF, I believe that the file can be flagged so that no
> fully-compliant PDF viewer will permit saving a copy, but it is easy
> enough to alter one of the open-source viewers to ignore that flag.
> Besides, the user might tell his browser to save rather than display,
> and then PDF features will not be involved at all.
>
> Or the "browser" might be something like wget or curl or libwww GET,
> which are designed specifically to fetch files without looking inside
> them.  You could adjust your web server to refuse service to such
> agents -- if the agent has not been instructed to lie to the server
> about its identity, claiming it is (say) Firefox or IE.
>
> There are lots of things you can do, but none is really fully
> effective.  The most you can do is raise obstacles for the determined
> user to step over.  All of those obstacles can be overcome with very
> small effort.  I would not take the trouble to raise them.
>
> It might be better to consider how you can provide a useful resource
> in such a way that it is not a big problem if someone saves a copy.
>
> --
> Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
> Friends don't let friends publish revisable-form documents.

Peter Dietz
Systems Developer/Engineer
Ohio State University Libraries