Jamil,

As Alice has shown, you may restrict access to the Item View and the
Bitstream content within DSpace at this time, but DSpace does not support
restricting the search and browse results by permissions out of the box.
 @mire has done customizations in the past that restrict the return of
protected items in the search/browse results for our clients.

At this time we are also working on an open community project called
dspace-discovery that integrates Solr into DSpace, replacing the existing
Search and Browse implementation. One of the features proposed for Discovery
is the ability to administratively limit the search results by varied
criteria including the permissions groups of the user completing the search.
Getting requirements from the community in this area will assist us in the
development of the feature.  We welcome any feedback on this topic.

Sincerely,
Mark

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Jamil Haddad <jamil.had...@lau.edu.lb>wrote:

> Hello Alice,
>
> This would hide everything but the date, author, and title. But in fact
> I wanted to make the whole community, with it's collections, items, and
> metadata be viewable only by authorized users. I believe one shall make
> changes in the way the page makes a search by filtering results.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jamil
>
> On 3/15/2010 8:19 PM, Platt, Alice wrote:
> > Hi Jamil,
> >
> > I am able to do this in DSpace 1.5.2 in the XMLUI, after the item has
> been added to DSpace:
> >
> > Go to item record
> > Click Edit This Item
> > Click the Authorizations button
> > At the Item Level (the top level), click the READ link
> > Select the group you wish to have access - for me it was Administrator
> > Click OK
> >
> > Now if an anonymous user tries to click on the title in the collection, a
> sign-in page appears instead of the item record. The title, author, date and
> publisher are still available from the browsing list, however.
> >
> > Alice Platt
> > Digital Initiatives Librarian
> > Shapiro Library
> > Southern New Hampshire University
> > 2500 North River Rd
> > Manchester, NH 03106
> > USA
> >
> > From: Jamil Haddad<jamil.had...@lau.edu.lb>
> > Subject: [Dspace-tech] authorizing access to metadata
> > To: Dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
> >
> > Hello,
> >

> > I need to create a private community where even the metadata of the items
> in this community shall not be displayed to unauthorized users. Is this
> possible in dspace?
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> >

> > Jamil
> >
> > Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Mark R. Diggory
Head of U.S. Operations - @mire

http://www.atmire.com - Institutional Repository Solutions
http://www.togather.eu - Before getting together, get t...@ther