On 31 March 2010 10:18, Sean Carte <sean.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31 March 2010 06:14, MOHIT SHARMA <mohit7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > After doing this command :sudo ant fresh_install
> > i have used these commands
> >
> > 1:)  /dspace/bin/create-administrator
> >
> > 2)sudo gedit /etc/default/tomcat6
> >
> >      -->TOMCAT6_USER=dspace
> >       -->TOMCAT6_SECURITY=no
> >
> > 3)   sudo gedit /etc/tomcat6/server.xml
> >
> >           <Connector port="8180" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
> >                      maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
> > maxSpareThreads="75"
> >                      enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443"
> > acceptCount="100"
> >                      connectionTimeout="20000"
> disableUploadTimeout="true"
> >                      URIEncoding="UTF-8" />
> >
> >       Also in server.xml modify the webapps directory to point to
> > /dspace/webapps:
> >
> >             <Host name="localhost" appBase="/dspace/webapps"
> >              unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
> >              xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
> >
> > 4) sudo service tomcat6 start
> >
> > Now after doing all this .. i am getting this error .......
> >
> > On running : http://localhost:8180/jspui/
> >
> > HTTP Status 500 -
>
> I'm not running tomcat6, but tomcat5.5, also using dspace as the
> tomcat user and /dspace/webapps as the deployment directory, and I
> found it necessary to change the ownership of all of the tomcat
> directories and files to the tomcat user as defined in
> /etc/default/tomcat:
>
> e.g:
> chown -R dspace /etc/tomcat5.5/ /var/log/tomcat5.5/
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/ /var/cache/tomcat5.5/ /usr/share/tomcat5.5/

The Ubuntu/Debian distribution is built using the Debian Maintainers Guide.
This is why it is never a good idea to change anything that a maintainer has
installed.
You are asked politely during upgrades if you want to keep your custom
changes or use the maintainers.
Now when upgrading from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS to Ubuntu 10.04 it is always a good
idea to use the maintainers version of things.
But then you lose all your customisations of the maintainers version. What
do you do ?

You never customise the maintainers version. Rather submit an upstream bug
report.
Rather customise your software to fit so that upgrades and security patches
work seamlessly.

So in the case above, give the "tomcat6" user full write permissions to the
"/dspace" folder and sub-directories.
Check this after re-builds and add in a step to setup permissions after
rebuilds.

I have been doing upgrades with Debian/Ubuntu for almost 8 yrs now and have
learnt the hard way to obey the Debian Maintainers.

Cheers

hg.

> Sean
> --