Hi Dspace gurus,

I'm trying to upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 and I'm not sure I'm
understanding the instructions correctly (I'm certainly not winding up
with a functional dspace 1.6!).

http://www.dspace.org/1_6_0Documentation/ch04.html#N10F06

Confusion #1:

In section "4.1. Upgrading from 1.5.x to 1.6"

It says:

"In the notes below [dspace] refers to the install directory for your
existing DSpace installation, and [dspace-source] to the source
directory for DSpace 1.5"

I'm assuming it should say the 1.6 source directory instead of 1.5?
Actually there are parts where it seems like [dspace-source] refers to
1.5 and others where it seems to refer to 1.6.

Confusion #2:

In section 4.1 "5 : Update Configuration Files."

I'm assuming the file to update is dspace.cfg? (looks like it, but
"files" is plural and I want to make sure I'm not missing anything)

Do I update my existing, installed dspace.cfg file? or the new
dscpace.cfg file provided in the 1.6 source? Or both?

I'm assuming just (or at least)

[dspace]/config/dspace.cfg

because that's what's targeted by ant in step 8?

Confusion #3:

I'm using an oracle database, and the upgrade process involves running
a script, then examining the error output, then running some sql
generated by that output.

Is there an easy way to verify that this whole process has succeeded
and I have a valid dspace 1.6 database?

I'm pretty new to dspace so please forgive me if this should be obvious...

Thanks in advance for your help with all or any of these issues!

Reinhard Engels

Digital Library Software Engineer
Office for Scholarly Communications
Harvard University Library