From: Stuart Lewis [mailto:s.le...@auckland.ac.nz]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2010 5:24 PM
To: Blanco, Jose
Cc: dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: sword and authentication

Hi Jose,

The current SWORD specification only supports HTTP basic authentication. DSpace
will take the credentials passed this way and make use of the normal
authentication method to authentcate the user.

Authentcation is required as the service document that is returned is
customised for the user based on their authorizations in the system (e.g. which
collections they can deposit into).

The problem you will have is that CoSign is designed to be used by end users
(people), whereas SWORD authentcation is used by SWORD clients. The client may
be used by people too, but there is no way to proxy the CoSign authentication
through the SWORD client.

(This is where oAuth might be suported in future versions of the SWORD protocol
to support this use case).

One option you could have is to use a single eperson account for all deposits,
and perform authentication at your client. Your client would verify the
identity of user (using CoSign?), and then make the deposit using a single set
of credentials. To enable this you will need to make a second copy of
dspace.cfg, and change the authentciation plugin settings to use another system
such as LDAP or the in-built password system. Configure SWORD's web.xml to use
that new copy of dspace.cfg instead.

This old blog post explains it slighty:

 - http://blog.stuartlewis.com/2008/05/27/shibboleth-sword-and-dspace-15/

We use SWORD quite a lot here in Auckland, and we are about to move to using
Shibboleth for our DSpace authentication. I'll try and write up the
configuration changes required to enable this when we make the change, and we
currently use the 'authentcate in the SWORD client and use a single deposit
account' model. This has the added advantage that for users who only ever
deposit a single item (e.g. a thesis) then we don't have thousands of accounts
left in DSpace that never get used again.

Thanks,

Stuart