From: keith.gilbert...@library.gatech.edu
[mailto:keith.gilbert...@library.gatech.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 10:10 AM
To: Heh, Gregory
Cc: DSpace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] FW: DSpace: Internal Server Error

Greg, I'm not sure about whether or not you'd need to do anything after
changing the hosts file.  I think I remember a system administrator having to
restart something called nscd after making this sort of change, but it's not
even running on the system I'm looking at now.

On that machine, I see the external IP address specified in the hosts file.

There's also a host.conf file with this in it:
order hosts,bind

I think that makes sure that the hosts file is actually used, instead of
skipping directly to the name server.

Your system might also have a file /etc/nsswitch.conf file with a line like
this:
hosts:      files nisplus nis dns
You'd just want to make sure that "files" shows up first on that line.

This is an odd problem.  I don't know much about system administration so maybe
someone else can chime in, or maybe there's someone in your network group who
might have an idea?

-----

Keith,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes it is a Linux machine, and I also thought it was an
issue with the hosts file which did make reference to dSpace-Production.
Running "hostname" returns "dSpace-Production".  Do I need to specify the local
or external ip?  And does changing the hosts file require a reboot (or anything
else) for changes to take place.  I appreciate your time.

Greg