Hi Jason,

DSpace ships with two LDAP options - LDAPAuthentication and
LDAPHeirarchicalAuthentication.

If all your users are in one branch of an ldap tree (e.g. they all exist in
ou=users,dc=unb,dc=ca) then you can use the former. This does not perform an
initial bind, it just binds to the user's DN using their credentials. If the
bind is successful then it allows the user to log in to DSpace.

If your users are scattered across many different branches, then you'll need to
use the LDAPHeirarchicalAuthentication option. This has extra settings in
dspace.cfg to set the DN and password of a user who has search rights across
the LDAP directory. DSpace will bind as that user and then perform a search to
find the DN of the user who is trying to log in. Once it finds that, it then
binds a second time to that DN, using the user's password.

Hopefully the comments in dspace.cfg will guide you through the different
settings. This blog post has some examples settings in that might help
demonstrate what you need to put in where:

 -
http://blog.stuartlewis.com/2008/08/18/test-ldap-service-upgraded-now-with-branches/

Thanks,

Stuart Lewis
IT Innovations Analyst and Developer
Te Tumu Herenga The University of Auckland Library
Auckland Mail Centre, Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Ph: +64 (0)9 373 7599 x81928