Hi,

I just installed a vanilla DSpace 1.6.2 and had it running in the most basic
way (i.e. just updating the basic config with the info required to get it up
and running, before the application was built using “ant fresh_install”). I had
the application responding at http://dspacedev.stir.ac.uk:8080/jspui/ and was
able to log on using my newly created admin account, but didn’t do anything to
the system (in terms of setting up Communities and Collections etc).

The next thing I tried to do was to make a minor config change (just a simple
change to “dspace.name”) in order to test the process of making config changes
and getting them into DSpace 1.6 . . .

Unfortunately, despite banging my head against it for quite a while I’ve not
been able to incorporate this simple change into DSpace :-(

Following the manual, I made the change to dspace.cfg in
[dspace-source]/dspace/config

As the user running Tomcat, I did the following:

cd /usr/src/dspace-1.6.2-src-release/dspace/target/dspace-1.6.2-build.dir
ant update_configs

- and expected this to update the config file in [dspace]/dspace/config,
however, when I check this file, it is still the old version (i.e. doesn't
contain the updated dspace.name value) . . .

I see that there are 2 new files in the [dspace]/config directory –
dspace.cfg.default and dspace.cfg.new, but neither of these contains the
updated value for dspace.name that appears in the config file in
[dspace-source]/dspace/config . . .

I've checked permissions (always the first place to start ;-) ), and everything
appears to be owned by my tomcat user, so I don't think that is the issue . . .

Have I misunderstood the process? Or perhaps I’m doing something wrong?

Any pointers, hints, or tips welcome :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Michael White
eLearning Developer
eLearning Liaison & Development (eLD)
3V3a, Cottrell
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA
Email: michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880
http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/aboutis/teams/aldt/eld.php

--
The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,