As Tim's response may have suggested to you:  you really need to ask
your lawyer if you want a defensible answer.

That said, BSD and GPL being what they are, I think it more likely
that there would be an objection on *your* side, since GPL is much more
stringent.  That is, you'd have to make certain that *your* license
would allow the distribution you want to make.  Unless you are
removing evidence of copyright or claiming endorsement, it's difficult
to violate BSD.

However it's my impression that GPL and BSD are compatible in most
circumstances.  See the bit in GPL regarding "mere aggregation", for
instance.  The main thrust of GPL seems to be that modifications *to
GPLed code* must be shared as the unmodified code was shared.  It's not
as infectious as some would claim.

You also need to consider whether you contemplate using GPLv1
(probably not), GPLv2, or GPLv3, or perhaps LGPL.

I would point out that an extension can, arguably should, be
distributed separately.  Necessary modifications (such as plugin
points) can be made to existing DSpace code under the license on that
code, and you should be able to distribute the rest under just about
any license you please (assuming your lawyer agrees).  Your
contribution to DSpace itself would be only the code required for your
extension to be dropped in.

And, if you decide to offer the whole thing for inclusion in the core
someday, it's my layman's understanding that the owner of a work can
always re-release it under a different license if he finds that
expedient.  (Assuming no contractual obligations to the contrary.)

It's a tangle.  Talk to your lawyer.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Balance your desire for bells and whistles with the reality that only a