Dear Dspace-tech community,

I'm working on a project that needs to have different layers of access to
metadata fields.  (ie.  Only certain people/groups should have access to
certain metadata fields).  I'm wondering if any in the dspace-tech community
have any ideas or experiences with this sort of thing?  I'm gonna throw out
some ideas to see if anyone is interested.

I know that there are currently a couple of options related to items access,
+  You can let anonymous users view some info in the search/browse results
+  Then approved users/groups can have full-item read access (minus fields
that are designated for administrators)
+  Administrators can see all fields (including those designated
metadata.hide..... in the dspace.cfg file.)

What I'm thinking about includes the following:
+ Adding the ability to create masks or streams of masks that can be applied
at the community or collection level, and to specific groups.
+ Each mask would simply be a set of (metadata key, boolean value) pairs
+ I think collection administrators should be able to edit the masks though
the web interface
+ And that the OAI indexing should be viewed as another group or person for
this purpose.

I have some questions:
+ Should the mask be on the display end(post SQL request) or the request
end(pre SQL request)?
+ Presumably these masks would be persistent, where should they be stored?

This topic is related to the following JIRA issues
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-800
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-716
https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-655

-Joseph

Joseph Rhoads
Digital Curator
Antonio J. Waring, Jr. Archaeology Laboratory

 Department of Anthropology
University of West Georgia
1601 Maple St.
Carrollton, Ga. 30118