On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 08:29, amutsikiwa <amutsik...@uzlib.uz.ac.zw> wrote:
> I am interested in displaying the number of item in a community/collection
> when communities/collections are listed on the home page of my dspace
> installation. Which directive should I turn on in the dspace.cfg fiel?

You should set
webui.strengths.show = true
webui.strengths.cache = true
and run
/[dspace]/bin/dspace itemcounter
periodically from cron (how often depends on how often number of items changes).

>From documentation:
Property: webui.strengths.show
Informational Note: Determines if communities and collections should
                   display item counts when listed. The default behav-
                  ior if omitted, is true. (This configuration property
                 key is not used by XMLUI. To show thumbnails using
                XMLUI, you need to create a theme which displays
               them).
Property: webui.strengths.cache
Informational Note: When showing the strengths, should they be count-
                   ed in real time, or fetched from the cache. Counts
                  fetched in real time will perform an actual count of
                 the database contents every time a page with this fea-
                ture is requested, which will not scale. If you set the
               property key is set to cache ("true") you must run the
              following command periodically to update the count:
             /[dspace]/bin/dspace itemcounter. The
            default is to count in real time (set to "false").

Regards,
~~helix84