Robin and Richard,

I started a dialog with Stuart Lewis a week or so ago about getting
the Packager system improved upon. I also had a dialog with Richard
about some of the BagIt packaging work he was working on.  I've
started to outline some requirements for furutre enhancements to the
Packager system here:

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Refactor+Packagers+to+support+Chain+of+Command

One of my intents here was to see that the METS crosswalk wasn't
calling the METS Packager, but that it was the other way around, that
the Packager processed a crosswalk to get the METS, the problem with
the current approach is that it is conflating parsing the mets
manifest with processing the zip file contents, we would like to see
the processing of zip file contents be a separate stage from
validating the manifest and assigning metadata, such we would gain the
ability to extend a "ZIP Packager" to attain different packaging
formats like Bagit and IMSCP, rather than having to implement the zip
processing in those from scratch.

My thought is that this would liberate us to have implementations for
different METS profiles, SWORD, DSpace, even "type based" profiles
like...
https://pacer.ischool.utexas.edu/handle/2081/2066

Which IMO, was the original intent of METS, not Repository or Protocol
centric packages, but Content Type Packages.

Mark

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 4:01 AM, Robin Taylor <robin.tay...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Showing my ignorance now, I had kind of assumed that the Mets profile
> was one package type. Have I misunderstood ?
>
> Cheers, Robin.
>

> On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 15:48 +0000, Richard Rodgers wrote:
>> Hi Robin:
>>
>> No objections, and its long overdue. But a friendly amendment:
>> we have to keep in mind that the Mets profile is not the same as the
>> X-Packaging (package type) in the SWORD protocol.
>> That latter has been a neglected and therefore somewhat problematic area,
>> and the work you propose will definitely help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Richard
>>

>> On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:41 AM, Robin Taylor wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > There is currently one Mets profile for DSpace that I know of
>> > https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpaceMETSSIPProfile.
>> > Unfortunately its been widely abused in the sense that it specifies that
>> > the metadata will be in MODS, but DSpace exposes and exports data
>> > claiming to adhere to the profile but with the metadata as EPDCX or even
>> > DIM. I would like to document a couple of new profiles that look exactly
>> > the same but refer to these other metadata schema. Why ? My interest is
>> > Sword. When sending a package to the Sword server I need to know exactly
>> > what package formats the server supports, including what metadata
>> > schema.
>> >
>> > Any objections ?
>> >
>> > Cheers, Robin.

Mark R. Diggory
@mire - www.atmire.com
2888 Loker Avenue East - Suite 305 - Carlsbad - CA - 92010
Technologielaan 9 - 3001 Heverlee - Belgium